DCML digest #650

bror.hellman@sodexho-se.com bror.hellman at sodexho-se.com
Mon Sep 3 16:21:35 CEST 2001

> Not being familiar with Fethry's "finer points", I'm sure I
> don't appreciate him (?!), but I know I'm not at all fond of
> idiot-sidekicks in general, and losing Fethry would seem very
> pleasant to me.

Well... As one who grew up with Fethry and perhaps know some of his finer
points...

Fethry has been handled very differently... Just like Goofy..

I personally don't like the stories where fethry is depicted as
too stupid or as a sidekick to Donald...
I like them where he either stands on his own two webbed feet or when he's
acting as an antagonist to Donald..  In this respect I think he's a perfect
complement to Gladstone who - from time to time - are just too annoying by
being SO perfectly lucky.

I often compare Fethry with Goofy..  I don't like the stories where Goofy is
depicted as incredibly stupid..

I mean.. to *me* Goofy should not be utterly stupid and moronic.
He is perhaps slow.. Not as educated.. And perhaps not the most intelligent
person in the universe...  His nephew's got plenty of that.. But Goofy - to
me - is smart and rather bright... in a more earthly and natural sort of
way.
I like such stories with Goofy the best.

There are som Spanish stories where Scrooge are paralyzed and becomes a
wailing heap with his beak open in a 90 degree angle every time there is a
small obstacle in his road...  I don't like that either...  In my opinion a
person liek that could never survive what scrooge survived... And that is
more of a "i inherited all money"-person rather than "i earned every single
penny by hard labour" tougher than the toughest kind of character...

That's why I like Don Rosas Scrooge.. and I think - Don - that if you had
been brought up with Fethry... and come to know the character.. Then you
would have been doing the best Fethry in the history of Disney Comics!

// Steamboat Willie