Yet Jake McDuck

Santiago García Banhos sgarcia at external.uf-isf.es
Wed Sep 5 13:15:52 CEST 2001

Hello, folks:

I disagree completly with the point of wiev that U$ recognized Donald
fashioned as Jake: you only have to take a look at the panels involved in
the gag:
	- first, U$ asks Donald 'Who are you?'
	- second, he seems to be very impressed to re-meet his old uncle Jake, lost
from the long-ago days of his childhood
	- third, U$'s face when he claims Jake's debt seems that he's really
speaking seriously
	- fourth and finally, Donald's disappointment when he throws off Jake's
costume. In this panel is when we can see (in my opinion) what Barks told us
in this little gag: U$ is so mean that he tries to get money even from his
dearest ones (which even Donald didn't expect!)

Moreover, Donald's disguise is perfect - Me, I even didn't recognize him at
first sight! ;-)

BTW, I think it's improbably that Jake travelled to the USA before, because
when Scrooge meets Donald-Jake, he remembers the old days of his childhood
in Scotland: In other words, he hasn't met Jake since then. And if Jake, who
is *only a poor old duck*, had travelled to the USA before, he'd gone to see
his rich nephew as the foremost thing.

Bye,

Santiago.