Indexing

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Thu Sep 6 16:05:55 CEST 2001

Kriton:

> > I made a new wesite, about 50 years of Dutch "Donald Duck"
> > weekly. The URL is:
> >     http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/bolderbast/xindexeng.html
> > The website is, like this invitation, bi-lingual.
>
> Isn't this redundant? I would assume that readers of the Dutch weekly
> are able to read Dutch, thus not requiring an English version
> of the site!

I assume that it is interesting for non-Dutch people too. I'm writing the
texts with in my mind that I would like to see similar things for foreign
Disney comics myself.
(In other words: the site is also meant for *you*.)

> > http://www2.ec-lille.fr/willot/coa/c1/add.php
> >
> > There you can index comics
>
> This looks like the program I had once suggested writing, for those
> like me who find the database format daunting. Back then, the reaction
> I got was that the format was simplicity itself, and that
> such a program would be unnecessary.

I still think that the website (program) is only useful for people who do an
occasional index. People who index a LOT have better tools for doing that.

> (I even got a confusing explanation of the format,
> to which someone replied with an even more confusing answer,
> describing
> various advanced tricks and obscure points.)

Of course, if you don't explain *what* is confusing to you, we can't make
our explanations better. I don't remember exactly how my confusing
explanation looked like, but if you have a look at the webpage:
http://home.wxs.nl/~fluks4/bolderbast/xf0short.html
can you tell me what it is that confuses you so much?

(Back then, I probably should have told you to ignore the "advanced tricks
and obscure points" that others posted.)

--Harry.