Xanadu/TrallaLa

CarmenG@aol.com CarmenG at aol.com
Sat Sep 8 15:36:37 CEST 2001

Concerning the discussion of Ducks & schools and Ducks in schools you were
having a while back (& the topic may be returning):
    When I was studying to be an English teacher, I traced my past to find
the origin of my fascination with words. Not surprisingly (to anyone on this
list), comic books were a large influence, even though I grew up with the
later Barks stories (The Gold Nugget Boat, The Great Wig Mystery).
    They continue(d) to entertain and inform me as an adult. I am somewhat
embarrassed to admit that I had never been able to entirely picture in my
mind the Xanadu in Coleridge's poem "Kubla Khan" until it was realized by
Rosa's story. I would dearly love to teach the poem and the heroic journey
through the original Barks story and Rosa's two-part sequel. However, costs
for buying that many comics would be prohibitive, photocopying would be
illegal (and unattractive)--not to mention I'd probably be sued by Disney for
using their images in a classroom!
    By the way, I recommend the Coleridge for anyone interested in the
artistic/creative process (including, of course, comics), for that's what I
think the poem is about. Then again, even if you don't speak English, the
sounds are gorgeous.