DCML digest, Vol 1 #666 - Revelation -- Off topic, sort of

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 14 14:35:20 CEST 2001

DANIEL WROTE:

> > And all this talk about the 911, when do they figure out that
> > plane's numbers make 666 or something?
>
> You just made a slight connection yourself. :-) Look at the subject
> line of this email, which refers to the digest I'm replying to.

ALSO:

> The last book of the Bible ("Revelation"? Dutch name is "Openbaringen")
> also contains predictions about the end of the world. A while ago
> I read an explanation by a Christian preacher. He told that there's
> a theory about these predictions which says that these predictions are
> about the fall of the Roman imperium, about 2000 years *ago*. I can't
> recall it fully, but I think that it said that the beast coming out of
> the sea is Rome, and that the heads of the dragon refer to the Roman
> leaders of that time.

AND I REPLY:

Amazing!  A reference is made to the "number of the beast" (666), and then
the discussion turns to Revelation, the source of that reference.
Congratulations, Daniel, on calling it the proper English name "Revelation",
rather than "Revelations" (plural), as most Americans do.  There was only
one.

I have also heard and read that explanation of the apostle John using veiled
language to speak of the doom of Rome, but I have also learned of many ways
that explanation doesn't fit, particularly as it refers to Christ's direct
involvement in the destruction of the wicked.  To avoid getting way off
topic, I'll just extend an invitation to any interested in this subject to
write me privately.  I can offer information about an extremely enlightening
and interesting publication that offers a very thorough and clear
interpretation of the last book of the Bible.

I have often ruminated over the idea of the ducks getting involved somehow
with the 4 beasts of Revelation, but that puts the account on the same level
as the mythology often mixed into the stories by Barks, and Christians
aren't going to like that.  I believe Don has made the same sort of
objection to Biblical references in Duck stories, and rightly so, though he
comes perilously close in his Crown of the Crusader Kings and the flashbacks
to the first temple constructed in Jerusalem by King Solomon.  (His
references do have errors, by the way, but he knows that.)