DCML digest, Vol 1 #667 ("Americans" message)

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 15 13:20:27 CEST 2001

CHRIS BARAT WROTE:

> Regarding the "Americans" e-mail making the rounds: The Gordon Sinclair
> editorial (by Detroit radio newsman Byron MacGregor) was a #4 hit in the
U.S.
> in early 1974.
> I think (though I'm not sure) that the original editorial was written in
> response to the Watergate scandal.

AND I REPLY:

It was actually originally a radio broadcast by Sinclair at his home station
in Toronto in 1973.  It was a response to the critics of America's perceived
defeat when pulling out of Vietnam.  Sinclair's exasperation was evident in
the tone of the editorial, and that emotion caused to make a few statements
that were not well researched.  It did get the flags waving, though, and it
is happening again.

I thought I posted this information to the list a couple of days ago, but it
never showed.
--
Dan Shane
(danshane at bellsouth.net)