DCML digest, Vol 1 #67 Message 6

BFOSTERLA@aol.com BFOSTERLA at aol.com
Mon Sep 17 19:21:03 CEST 2001

In a message dated 9/17/01 3:03:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dcml-request at stp.ling.uu.se writes:

Re: DCML digest, Vol 1 #67 Message 6 from Eta Beta:

<< A question for Bob Foster, first...

<<I'm referring to a Gottfredson/Walsh story, "Mickey Mouse and the 'Lectro
Box"
<<(YM 058), which saw in the original publication, in the very last panel,
the three <<scientists left in their underpants by the effect of the Box... >>

I'm always amazed at my own ignorance when it comes to stuff like this. And
readers of this list are amazingly knowledgeable when it comes to historical
facts about obscure details. What we're talking about here is something that
I was involved in almost ten years ago, so I remember even less than I didn't
know to begin with.

I don't recall changing anything on that story. I usually got the material
from a variety of sources. Sometimes I'd find things in the files at the
studio, sometimes I'd get things from the folks at Gladstone, sometimes I'd
find things I had in my personal collection. On top of the fact that I was
never a big Mouse fan (Gasp!), details like that would surely go across my
desk unnoticed. In matters of finding material that fans had requested, I
sometimes relied on others to provide it, and figured they knew more than I
did. If it had been edited or altered, I probably didn't know enough about
the original version to know the difference.

But keep in mind, quite often that was the only version available, so I had
to decide to either run the altered version or to not run any version at all.
I thought an altered version would be better than nothing.

The best experts I worked with were the Gladstone people who really knew this
stuff. And, being rascally, rebellious types (my kind of people!), sometimes
they would fix things back to the way they used to be or should have been. So
maybe the fixes started there. I don't think I did it at the studio.

Censorship that was imposed on us internally, from an unnamed staff member at
the studio, often irritated the hell out of us. They were so overprotective
of the Corporate image and politically correct depiction of everything, great
stories suffered or were destroyed as a result.

Occasional oversights occurred when we would accidentally run a censored
story, then apologize to the censor goddess that we had made a mistake.
Sometimes it's best to plead ignorance after you've committed the offense.
Anything for the fans!

But now I'm curious. I'll go to my storage locker in the next few days and
dig out my copies of those issues and take a look. Maybe I'll remember
something, and get back to you.

Bob Foster