from guilders to euros

Arthur de Wolf arthur at westbrabant.net
Tue Sep 18 19:21:48 CEST 2001

Hi,

In a reprint of a Donald Duck album in the Netherlands, which printed Carl
Barks' WDC 50 "Ten Cent's Worth of Trouble", it is funny to see what they
did in changing the references to Dutch guilders into Euros, when you
compare it with the first edition of the same album, which came out in 1975.

The lettering in each balloon is kept the same, except for the balloons that
have references to guilders. On page 7, for instance, Donald is throwing a
dime in the air which is worth 8000 euro (8000 guilders in the old version).
Then someone catches it and says:

    - 1975 version: "Thanks mate, I can sure use 8 bills!".
    - 2001 version: "Thanks mate, I can sure use 16 bills!".

They changed the number of bills from 16 to 8, as the largest guilder bill
is now 1000, but the largest euro bill will be 500.

Kind regards,

Arthur de Wolf
DCW: http://www.wolfstad.com/dcw