DCML digest #676

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Fri Sep 21 14:57:08 CEST 2001

From: "Olivier" <mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr>
>>>Rather an adaptation.
I don't have the French version. The aiport is "Coot International
Airport". The original board ("A Matter of  Some Gravity", WDC&S 610, March
'97--
ah, the good ol' Gladstone days!) reads:
Flight 109: Gooseville (11:02)
Flight 315: Farawaystan (11:37)
Flight 757: Costa Lotta (11:56)
Flight 214: Purto Pooro (12:14)
Flight 666: Louisville (Late)

You are making errors in assumption here, Olivier. First, the Gladstone
version is not the "original" ... it is a reprint of the earlier European
(Egmont) uses of that story. And you cannot always assume that they were
using my original script, word for word (though we usually tried to do
that). I just checked the original script again, and I indicated NO names
of cities to be on that flight schedule board. In the following panel where
Donald has one jammed in his mouth, my script indicates that that one
should say "LOUISVILLE", but I left the others up to Byron Erickson, and he
either created his own flight destinations for his "official" version of my
script, or he left it to the individual translators.
Anyway, I am still working on the "sorta sequel" to "A Matter of Some
Gravity" and should have it finished next week. I should avoid calling it a
sequel since that might suggest to someone it will involve gravity again,
or that it will be in any way as funny as the original. But the boss wanted
another short, fast-paced Magica story before I started my next overblown
opus, so this seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time.

From: "Pekka Timonen" <pati at iki.fi>
>When you say something is "a matter of some gravity",
> it means it's a matter of some seriousness.
>>>All this time I had thought you had meant it the way physicists think
of:
matter affects the surrounding space-time by bending it, and the
manifestation of this is gravitation. Oh, well.

Oh, well, yes, obviously, I meant that as well.

From: "Fabio Blanco" <longtom at oeste.com.ar>
>When you say something is "a matter of some gravity",
> it means it's a matter of some seriousness.
>>>Thats works in Spanish too... would be "Un asunto de cierta gravedad"...

Really? I had counted on the Spanish title to make a reference to how
matter affects the surrounding space-time by bending it, and the
manifestation of this is gravitation.  Caramba!