Continuity in Barks stories

Halsten Aastebol Halsten.Aastebol at elkraft.ntnu.no
Wed Sep 26 09:22:34 CEST 2001

At 18:29 25.09.01 -0400, Rodney w bowcock jr. wrote:
>Recently, I've been reading Set 9 of the old CBL.  I read a story (sorry,
>I don't have issue numbers on hand) dealing with the duck's new years
>resolutions.  12 issues later, there was another resolutions story with
>references to the previous one.
>
>I know Barks generally didn't tie his stories together this way.  I had
>only known of one case where that happened, and this wasn't it.  Are
>there more?
>
>Rodney Bowcock

This made me search for an old message I sent to this list, discovering it
was actually in my very first posting!

I wrote:
>Barks never stressed continuity between his stories although, like Don
>Rosa's Life of $crooge McDuck shows, things happened to be rather
>consistent anyway. But it's interesting to pinpoint the few occasions in
>Barks' stories where he actually refers to an earlier story. I've come up
>with the these examples:
>1. "The Great Ski Race" (WDC 62) opens with a panel where HDL are bathing
>in pile of cash and Donald making a comment about the reward HDL got last
>month for catching a bank robber as seen in the previous issue of WDC "Thug
>Busters".
>2. In Frozen Gold (OS 62) Donald is dreaming of a vacation away from snow
>covered Duckburg. Florida is a natural choice, and in the beginning of the
>next adventure in the same OS, "Mystery of the swamp", they are there.
>Presumably Donald and HDL have finished flying more supplies of penicillin
>to Alaska, and Donald is now complaining about the lack of adventure.
>3. In "Secret Resolutions" WDC 185, Donald and the nephews decide to make
>their new year's resolutions secrets because of the troubles that aroused
>one year earlier in "New Year's Revolutions" WDC 173.
>4. In "Feud And Far Between" WDC 281, Neighbor Jones is secretly moving in
>next door again. While Donald and HDL are trying to find out who the
>mysterious new neighbor is, they are talking about Jones and the backyard
>war between him and Donald as seen in WDC 34, 38, 48, 63, U$ 6B and "Silent
>Night".
>5. The series of one pagers showing $crooge getting his moneys worth of
>coffee.
>
>Can anybody tell me if there are more such connections?

Then Merlin Haas reminded me of the following:

>         In the '60s Scrooge story involving the Candy-striped Ruby (which
>Scrooge tries to hide by putting it in a batch of peppermint candy) the
>Beagle Boys refer to an earlier Scrooge story ("All at Sea"??) in which
>Scrooge tries to move gold bullion by ship by having it molded to look
>like corn.

My examples number 1 and 3 and the one mentioned by Merlin Haas are the
best examples, with direct outspoken connections. My three other examples
are a bit more vague.

Any other examples?

Halsten