Family Tree (Titus/Dingus)

Stefan Diös pyas at swipnet.se
Mon Aug 19 16:00:57 CEST 2002

Briefly dropping by on my semi-vacation, I find myself arriving just in
time for a question I can answer. Concerning the Swedish name/s of
Scrooge's grandfather/s:

GILLES:

>Anka into Swedish. And guess what was Dingus' translation? Titus Von Ankka
>too ! ! !

DON:

>  $crooge has two
>grandfathers, but the other is not named "McDuck". So, I'll bet the Swedish
>translator is a Duck expert (aren't you, Stefan?), and used that earlier
>name instead of my "Dingus". Good for him!!!!

Uh... well, yes, I was aware (through the Swedish edition of Gisle's book)
that Scrooge's grandfather had indeed been named Titus in one old story,
even though I didn't really know which story at the time when I
"translated" Don's tree. So, as Don suggests, it seemed natural to use the
same name. There are enough discrepancies anyway when you attempt a project
like this, so every time you do find some previous source of referral, you
happily cling to that opportunity whenever possible. I might add that the
Swedish language clearly distinguishes between paternal and maternal
grandfathers, so there was never a question whether this might have been
the other grandpa. (Meaning: There was, for once, no need for the confusion
we usually have with all the uncles in Duckburg!)

TOTALLY DIFFERENT SUBJECT:

While I'm writing, I seem to recall a question on DCML a while ago about
the colors of Duckburg's soccer team. And I believe that somebody answered
something like "Use whatever colors you like, just not red and yellow!".
Well, I found this a bit odd, for as far as I know, the designated colors
for this team ARE red and yellow nowadays, at least in Egmontland. Whenever
the team appears there's a note to colorists to use red and yellow, and I
think this usually comes through to the finished magazines at least in Sweden.

Maybe I misunderstood the question or the answer, or we might have another
major mystery to solve... Oh, the constant plague of being a
consistency-ridden Donaldist!

Stefan Dios
Malmo, Sweden