Minor linguistic notes

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Thu Aug 29 18:33:55 CEST 2002

> Also, there seem to be artifacts still existing, in which
> semi-literate stone carvers spelled "Caesar" with an S -- indicating that
> if the "Kaiser" pronunciation was in use then, it wasn't the only one in
> use.

I don't know if this factoid is true, but I did hear from an
archaeologist, recently, that it is such misspellings that provide us
with information about how a language used to be pronounced in the past.

> And MJ Prior -- the red dangling thingie on a chicken's neck is called a
> "wattle" in English.

This gives an entirely new meaning to that Monty Python sketch, where
a hermit used to line his cave with wattles!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"I am not here, don't worry!"