(no subject)

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Wed Dec 11 19:37:54 CET 2002

Last time I said:
> I suppose it's possible that Panchito was even born in
> Bahia, though that would take away from his "Mexican"
> heritage as a uniquely Mexican Disney character, so I
> prefer to assume that his parents met in Brazil, married
> and moved to Mexico where he was later born.

Well, I was listening to the song again and, if taken at
face value, it does indeed sound as if Panchito was born in
Bahia as the words state that his father, Miguel was from
Ecuador and moved to Bahia where he married Maria and he
and Maria had Panchito.  It's still possible they moved
to Mexico before having Panchito, but the song does not
mention any move by his parents or even by Panchito, but we
know it was established in the film "The Three Caballeros"
that Panchito is "from Mexico."  Whether he was born there
or moved there later is probably something best left to
some future writer.

HOWEVER, the song continues to explain that Panchito has
relatives all over Latin and South America [explicitly
mentioning Chile, Peru, Bahia (Brazil), Ecuador, Mexico
and even Dallas (Texas)], which, in essence, make Panchito
the consummate Latin America character, and not JUST a
Mexican character as was implied by the original film.

-Rich Bellacera