Duckburg, Mouseton and Mickey's appeal

Dim I Nticoudis dimadick at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 14 12:40:49 CET 2002

  Recent discussion about the two cities and their importance is quite
interesting.To be honest I always thought of them as two sepparate cities
inhabited by two different sets of characters, although they may know each
other but aren't that close.

  Duckburg ,or at least as seen in old Italian stories, is the city
practicaly dominated by Scrooge McDuck and John D.Rockerduck.I always loved
those old stories where we saw the two of them, compete for superiority.We
could see them taking business decisions than didn't only affect them and
their close associates but their workers and the society at large. droping
new ideas , introducing new products and trends, ideas that sometimes
fascinated the public and sometimes they just flopped.The two of them
running and organizing their financial empires often gave us quite
interesting stories where we could see them trying to predict their
opponent's next move, while planning their own next moves ,using industrial
espionage to get an advantage over each other, and often feeding false
information to each other's agents to trick them, constantly trying to
manipulate others to use in their plans.W, ile Barks,Rosa and others do a
good job portraying the adventurer that Scrooge is ,those are the stories
that explore him as a businessman.And Duckburg's society serves as a
nice,though unnamed , supporting cast to the main characters.

  On the other hand in Mickey stories the influence of the duo of financial
emperors and their circle of close associates is rarely felt.Mickey's
casting as a detective set the theme in many stories.Mysteries and crime
stories.At their worst just boring predictable stories.At their best
exciting mysteries.A city where Phantom Blot's mere mention could cause fear
and Pete's criminal schemes could lead to a series cleverly commited and
organised crimes.The two cities felt different and the two sets of
characters could be left to their own machinations without tangling on each
other legs at every other storie.An occasional crossover could happen but
truly the two sets weren't that close to each other.They didn't know
everything about each others' activities.

  Concerning Mickey's appeal I always thought him as an inferior character
to the Duckburg cast.For example he usualy didn't have a very interesting
motivation.Scrooge, Flintheart, Rockerduck , Magica(all favorite characters
of mine) are all extremely ambitious characters, setting high goals and
trying hard to achieve them.In Mickey's case he seems to be involved in
adventures that have no monetary or other personal gain for him and in many
cases shouldn't even involve him.I actualy enjoy stories that cast him as a
proffessional detective or reporter trying to earn some money, at least his
motives in those one are believable and that explains how can he financialy
supports himself.Sometimes ,like Sigvald pointed out, he seems to be in an
eternal vacation, not having a care in the world and even denying to receive
awards.I just can't stand those stories.

Secondly he is oftenly predictable.Scrooge, Donald and the other Ducks
oftenly have to take hard decisions in many matters, we can see them giving
serious thought in matters that affect their life.They deal with temptations
, desires, responsibilities in realy believable ways and they can be both
the "heroes" and the "villains" in their own stories according to their
decisions.Mickey is always going to do the "proper" thing.He has a sense of
morality that truly sounds out of this world.Threats to his health don't
seem to scare him, offers of money seem to have no appeal on him , his
actions  straining his relationship with his closest associates don't realy
seem to make him give some more thought to them.Seriously how many times
have we seen him having fights with Minnie, mostly in old Italian stories,
because he seems to be always away in some adventure, neglecting her?I
actualy enjoy a couple of stories where she insists on going with him just
to proove that adventure is not too dangerous for her, as Mickey often seems
to believe.Even Scarpa's Goofy sometimes critoisizes his habit of just
walking on to danger with no concern and volunteering on his behalf without
even asking him.

  And oftenly his adventures are based on accidental happenings rather than
planned action.Scrooge and his people go out looking for adventure.In some
stories at least we can see them plan ahead.In Mickey's case it seems just
to be his luck.Stock plot:How many times have you seen Mickey being on
vacation in some place and just happens to stumble in any major criminal
activitie in the area, without even looking for it?Including running into
Pete in any strange case?Pete is running a scheme in Arabia, India, the
African Jungle?Well Mickey just happens to go there leaving Pete wondering
how he does that?Well I wonder about that too.And his sollutions are also
based in luck.Sometimes he seems to resemble Gladstone Gander in his
outrageous luck.Whatever his enemies try against just doesn't work even if
he doesn't know he is threatened.Sigvald is probably right in saying that
the time traveling stories are among the best.At least he takes the decision
to time-travel instead of this just happening to him and they do have more
suspence than most stories.

  And lastly I don't mind O'Hara asking for his help in some cases but not
in any case!In some movies he just seem to be doing all police work by
himself.Mouseton's superheroe or something.I actualy like recent Italian
stories featuring O'Hara balancing his life between his many cases in the
office and his relationship with his wife back home.It seems to develop the
character more.

  Seriously some Mouseton characters seem to me more interesting than Mickey
himself.The Phantom Blot is a realy threatening ambitious ingenious man.Pete
at his best combines a tough attitude and criminal experience with some
good-hearted attempts to support himself and his Trudy, helping out criminal
friends, being a leader.Mortie's and Ferdie's stories dealing with their
social life can be quite interesting and sometimes seem more believable than
their uncle in their emotions.Goofy is good enough for surealistic stories
and he is at least more imaginitive,creative and fun-loving than his friend.

  Mickey often seems to be the all too boring ,proper and predictable
character in a whole set of colorful characters.And to be honest I would
like to see him im stories that provide him with better motivation, more
realistic emotions and actions, a bussiness life , and some use of his years
of experience in adventure and crime-fighting.Seing him run around in shorts
in an attempt to de-age him isn't excactly a thing that makes him more
exciting in my eyes.

  Just my thoughts in the subject rather than a more objective look.How do
other members see the two cities and the "Mouse that started it all" and
what stories would they like to read?