Gort, Klattu birada nikto.

Dan Shane danshane at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 1 14:34:43 CET 2002

SONIA WROTE:

> Gort, Klattu birada nikto.
>
> Well I recognized the line from the movie, but after all these years I
still
> don't know what "birada nikto" is supposed to mean. Are any of you fluent
in
> Klattu-ese?

AND I REPLY:

I think you mean are any of us fluent in Martian or Venutian, since Klaatu
states that he is from both places (an indication that he is a citizen of a
space federation of planets -- pre STAR TREK)?

Gort was the robot's name, Klaatu was the spaceman, so we're simply left to
wonder what "birada nikto" means.  Somehow those two words managed to convey
to Gort that Klaatu did not want the earth destroyed, and that Gort was to
attempt to "resurrect" Klaatu.  A very efficient language.

I always say, no need for "Blah, blah, blah" when only "Blah" will do.

Dan Shane
(danshane at bellsouth.net)