Duckburg Mayors

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl
Tue Feb 5 17:53:39 CET 2002

From: Rob Klein <bi442 at lafn.org>
>> Don is definately being true to Barks with respect to his
>> portrayal of Duckburg's Mayor, - as Barks used at least two
>> different Pigs, and a host of Dog (generic mammal)-nosed
>> characters.

I should have held my tongue.
I grew up with the idea of Duckburg having a pig mayor (probably
due to the frequent use of this pig mayor by other artists than
Barks (in the Dutch Donald Duck weekly)). Don's non-pig mayors
made me wonder wether the pig mayor was ever used by Barks at
all, till I spotted the pig in 'Hero of the Dike'.

So, I should have read more stories by Barks, or done my research
more thoroughly, before asking any such question.
Thanks for reminding me, next time I'll just shut up :)

>> Don's use of a similar panel showing a past event in a similar
>> situation (...)

Have you checked your copy of Don's Kalevala story to look at the
panels I mentioned? I'm not sure whether I did describe this
storytelling device clearly enough.

Of course, there are storytelling and 'camera' techniques that
comics and movies do have in common. (Close up, medium and
total shot, zooming in.)

I would like to thank Don Rosa for kindly answering my questions
and Rob Klein for his comments on them.

And I still would like to thank Harry Fluks for giving me a warm
welcome on this mailing list (way back in september, after I made
my first contribution). (As this message is only my third, I reckon
it's not too late to say thank you.)

Michiel Prior.