DCML digest #828

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Feb 6 15:10:44 CET 2002

From: "Fluks, H.W." <H.W.Fluks at kpn.com>
>>>I'm having trouble interpreting "Mr. Know-It-All" in a positive way.

Why? I meant it as a funny compliment -- you can answer any question about
stuff in the archives or inDUCKs. It's amazing!

>>>Per Starbäck announced you as a member on April 15, 1993

Ah. Then I made a good guess!
But I wonder if you can tell when I first started sending messages directly
to the group rather than as an e-mail reply from Compuserve? I guess that
would be when my address changed to the iglou.com suffix. Yeah, I guess
that'd be too tough to bother to track down, but the reason it would
interest me is that I got that address and that Internet access when I
bought my new computer. And yesterday, Feb. 5, 2002, at about 1 PM, that
computer "crashed"... I'm on my emergency laptop back-up with a new 'puter
on order.
I hope I can rescue all my old e-mail files. There were lots of really
memorable messages that I'd saved over the years. But I can start a new
"keeper" file with the message at the end of yesterday's Digest #828 --
another amazing interpretation.

From: "Cord Wiljes" <cord.wiljes at post.uni-bielefeld.de>
>>>Well, I surely don't know, what it does mean "on earth", but on a distant
planet, home of the space traveller Klaatu from the classic Science Fiction
movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" I grok it has to have some meaning
like "Gort, wait until I come back!" (Gort was a robot)

I guess we've done this phrase to death, but that's about the one thing it
*couldn't* have meant. Klaatu was just shot and died a moment later. And
Gort's instructions were to destroy the earth if something should happen to
Klaatu, which is what he was just starting to do when Patricia Neal
delivered the message (apparently to NOT destroy Earth but to come and steal
Klaatu's body and resuscitate him).
S'funny... last night I was watching a new DVD of TRON, and on one of the
computer company's office cubicles was a big poster saying "GORT, KLAATU
BARADA NIKTO". Heh.
Now, enough about Klaatu! It's bad enough he later lost his starfleet
ambassadorship and ended his days as "The Keeper" who visited the Robinson's
Planet. What a come-down.