Finnish Trekkies and Green Friends (RE: Old times)

Fluks, H.W. H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Tue Feb 12 16:38:55 CET 2002

Mike Pohjola:

> I have no idea when I actually joined the list,
> though. Harry?
> I do remember my first mail was a question to Don about some story. I
> almost remember which one it was... The sequel to Back to the
> Klondike.

"Last Sled to Dawson".

Here's an excerpt from your first e-mail.

<<
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 1994 16:47:42 +0200
From: mikep at freenet.hut.fi (Mike Pohjola)
Subject: Replies

DON: (have to say something to you, so my friend will turn green ;)
    Has there ever been a Barks (or somebody else) story, about Scrooge
sticking that rifle in the ice? See, this's been troubling me for years
now and I still am not sure. I seem to remember a story published in
'60s at Finland, where he did that. But that's just about all I do
remember. It's tearing me apart!

	Mike - The Finnish Trekkie

and Don's reply:

<<
MIKE P.:
	Yes, I swiped that bit about $crooge losing a sled into a
glacial rift in the Yukon, marking the spot with a rifle, then returning
years later just as the glacier chunk breaks off -- and used it as the
centerpiece of "The Last Sled to Dawson". That original Tony Strobl
story was in DONALD DUCK (not UNCLE $CROOGE) #50 or thereabouts. It had
always been my favorite non-Barks Duck story... perhaps the only
non-Barks Duck story I liked... due to the scene where the iceberg
breaks off the glacier and we see the sled buried deep in the ice where
it had been sealed for over 50 years.
	After all these years, I can't recall precisely what I was
thinking when I swiped that bit, though I made no secret of it at the
time. But I think I was intrigued by the idea that, since I was doing a
story which would automatically become Disney property, I realized I
could swipe any idea from any Disney comic, TV show, movie, book, or
anything that there had ever been, and it was perfectly acceptable.

--Harry.