Casablanca II

Shelley Hanson klezmerallthatjazz at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 22:21:53 CET 2002

Timo said
"Perhaps we should have Casablanca II? Well, we got Gone With the Wind II.
Ah, if Hollywood studios have no logic, why should I have? ;-) "

Well, Timo, I'm sorry to tell you that someone has written a novel which is
a sequel to Casablanca, and will probably be made into a movie. It purports
to tell what happens in the Foreign Legion after Rick walks off to start his
beautiful friendship..... I saw it in a bookstore, and the next time I go
I'll try to get the name of it and the author so we can make sure we never
buy anything he ever wrote!

And, does Phillip Jose Farmer's classic "The Other Log of Phileas Fogg"
count as a sequel? Writing another book using the skeleton of events in
Around the World in Eighty Days, but with a completely different
interpretation of the events -- is it a work of amazing cleverness (my
opinion) or a rip-off? Hard to draw a line sometimes.