Sequel to Snow White?!

Rich Bellacera xephyr at onemain.com
Tue Feb 19 09:04:01 CET 2002

I saw the same petition on the Usenet and checked out some of the
petitioners' comments.

I'm afraid that in this case, I may be in the minority around here and
over there as well.

While I haven't been a big fan of some of the sequels  (Return of Jafar,
Belle's Magical World, Pocahontas 2, Little Mermaid 2), I have adored
some of the others (B&tB2: Enchanted Christmas, LK2: Simba's Pride,
L&tT2" Scamp's Adventure, Toy Story 2), and I'm fairly certain there are
some I won't enjoy (Cinderella2, Hunchback2) and others I will that are
upcoming (Bug's Life2, Hercules2, Tarzan2, Atlantis2), and others I
don't know enough about to comment yet (Snow White2, 101 Dalmatians2,
Dumbo2, Mulan2, Oliver & Co2).   If I could make requests, I'd love to
see Disney make a sequel to DuckTales, Gargoyles and Three Caballeros!

Still, to restore the "on-topicness" of this subject, I can't help but
recall that as fans of Disney Comics we are pretty much used to sequels
of these films anyhow.  I mean, Taran/Black Cauldron had a fairly long
running serial in France, Scamp from Lady & the Tramp actually had one
of the longest runs in newspapers and comics, Bambi's Children had their
own comic, and we've seen many, many other "further adventures" stories
of nearly every cartoon film character in comics.

I must say that personally, I prefer the "universes" staying as seperate
as possible, keeping Captain Hook out of Winnie the Pooh and Mickey
Mouse stories, but crossover stories are also a tradition in Disney
Comics... not nearly as much as in the past, but it is still a tradition
nonetheless.

For me, making a sequel to a film is no different from making a
comicbook or an animated TV series based on the futher adventures of
those same characters.  Sure, they're not going to appeal to everyone,
but there are some who will be attracted to them.  I loved the LITTLE
MERMAID animated TV series and the comicbook series published while
Marvel was licensed, but, like I said, I didn't like the recent film sequel.

I don't have much else to share on the subject, but I think there is a
market for sequels, whether in comicbook or animated series or film form.

-Rich Bellacera
xephyr at onemain.com