DCML digest, Vol 1 #799 - 5 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Jan 15 15:03:03 CET 2002

From: Tommi Perkola <matope at uta.fi>
Duckburg in American west coast, sets their time to fifties and admits,
he doesn't know anything about euroducs seems bit, eh, arrogant, like
"To hell with thousands of pages euroducs produced in last 50 years!"

That would be a mean way to describe my attitude, but it's still accurate.
I have never read those thousands of pages, those thousands of pages have
nothing whatsoever to do with the reason I write and draw my stories. It
doesn't matter how good those pages are or how many people have read them,
to me they are irrelevant -- they don't exist. As someone else said,
thousands of rewritten or newly-interpreted-by-other-writers stories would
not take Harry Potter out of London, Clark Kent out of
Smallville/Metropolis, or Frodo out of Middle Earth. My Duckburg is in
1950's America and any editor or reader who changes or misunderstands that
is making an error. And if a reader doesn't like that, they should avoid
reading my stories since I don't wish to make anyone unhappy.
But the point is that I am one measly writer/artist in the sea of hundreds
(and amid that ocean of thousands of pages), and others are free to write
and draw their own Duckburg interpretations for those readers who want
Duckburg to exist in a modern Never Never Land. But my interpretation is
what has formed in my own mind over 50 years, I can't change it, nor would
I wish to.
(However, I'm puzzled as to why you mention Italian Disney comics since, as
they have explained it to me, the Italian Duckburg always *has* been
clearly intended to be located in the USA, the only European comics that do
agree with the originals.)