Where Scrooge lives

Ari Seppi mani at iki.fi
Tue Jan 15 19:00:49 CET 2002

Dan:
>$crooge was created, not by countless Europeans or even an international
>committee, but by a single man who placed his newly thought up character
>squarely on the West coast of North America.  He wrote plenty of stories
>that made it pretty clear where and when $crooge was meant to exist, and
>$crooge's travels reinforced that setting.

I basically agree with you. As I said before, a writer has the
ultimate say over his stories. In general,  that is also the
case with the characters.

I do picture Scrooge living in the USA. Generally, when I
read a story I might even think "No! That is wrong! It can't
happen that way!" if there is something against the usual
Barksian facts (unless it is a Barks story where he is
contradicting his own facts).

Originally, my problem with the sentence "Scrooge lives
in the USA." was that Disney comics as a concept have
little rules. I considered the question generally: What do
people think when about this? Would the readers complain
if a story based on this fact was published? That might h
ave been a wrong point of view.

After reading this conversation and thinking the matter
over and over again I have to say that I simply don't know.
I don't know what is the right answer, I don't know what
is right point of view on the question.

I do know that this much pondering gives me a head ache.

--
Ari Seppi (mani at iki.fi)
http://www.iki.fi/mani/