DCML digest #800

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Jan 15 20:15:43 CET 2002

From: Tommi Perkola <matope at uta.fi>
>>>There simply are such things alive as
traditions, and euroducks where Duckburg hasn't any clear situation on
the map, and where Scrooge is Grandma's brother,

You know, I'm really unclear as to what your point is. Are you saying that
you think I should change MY stories to reflect these errors? Or are you
just explaining why you don't like the way I do it (which is fine)? Grandma
was *never* supposed to be $crooge's sister in the original version, and
Duckburg was never supposed to be a fairytale town that exists in a
fantasyland dimension, (and the coins in the Money Bin were never supposed
to all be solid gold). These are European creations and/or errors. And I am
willing to accept that these inaccuracies are now traditions and I would
never campaign that all other writers and artists should change their
minds, even if I thought I could. But are you suggesting that *I* should
change *my* interpretation to reflect these inaccuracies? Why on earth
should I or would I do that?! It would be an insult to the whole reason I'm
doing this, which is to honor the Barks stories I grew up on, not because
his stories have been carried off into many different, some good and some
bad, directions by writers and artists he never knew.

that tradition, and some of us grew with it. And by the way, there are
some good stories and artwork in it. Pays off to check out!

You don't seem to get it. Dan can't do that. I can't do that. Those stories
are not and have never been available to us even if we could read all the
different languages involved. And when a miniscule fraction of those
stories were translated by Gladstone, the European "inaccuracies" were
corrected. These "European traditions" were obliterated as they should have
been for our eyes, and the original versions replaced.

From: "Fluks, H.W." <H.W.Fluks at kpn.com>
they
have our currency, and our language. Where people live in the present. They
don't let any Rosa change that tradition. So I expect to see the euro sign
in Scrooge's bin in the next Rosa story.

Oh, right, so do I. I just wanted to publicly guarantee people, if they
didn't already know it, that if they ever do see a Euro symbol on the Money
Bin in one of my stories, that it was done only because I can't prevent it
and that it was certainly not from my original script or art.

From: Kari Lepola <Kari.Lepola at hut.fi>
>>>Well, this isn't really a problem in Finland anyway, because the symbol
on the money bin has (at least as far as I know) always been RA meaning
Roope Ankka, which is Scrooge's name in finish.

Oh, yes, drat! I knew that!!! I've even put the "RA" on the "Attaaaaack!"
cover I drew especially for AKU ANKKA! Why did I mention Finland in that
reference? Sorry!