Gladstone changes

Sue and Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Wed Jan 16 19:33:24 CET 2002

Morten:

> Uhm... so... Gladstone changed the european stories to make them fit
> with current traditions, to make them more easily accepted by american
> readers.
>
> How is this different than european publishers changing american stories
> to make them with fit current traditions, to make them more easily
> accepted by european readers?

All's fair in love and working in the Disney milieu in any capacity, but the
fact remains that Disney's global milieu originated and is still
headquartered in the U.S., so Gladstone was acting not as a foreign
interpreter but as a native reinterpreter. And let's be very, very clear
about this: "Current traditions" (a nice, vaguely oxymoronic phrase, that)
are what Disney U.S. championed, but at Gladstone we did what we did with
european Duck stories to suit Barksian traditions.

All the same, I don't have any problem with any publisher suiting the
material to its audience in any way that seems appropriate to that audience.
To debate the color of money is only to point out how widely varied are the
perceptions of comics readers and creators around the world, and that
publishers' efforts to address, and hopefully satisfy, these perceptions is
an ongoing, eternal challenge.

Gary