Sources of Foreign Comics for US Readers?

Linwood linwood at bigfoot.com
Sat Jan 26 20:39:27 CET 2002

Hello, DCML,

During a vacation trip to Norway last year, I, as a deprived American,
was astonished to see the popularity, and availability, of Disney comics
during my travels.  Upon my return home, a little surfing brought me to
DCML, through which I was astonished yet again to discover the
proliferation of new Disney comics in other parts of the world.  My
primary reason for joining DCML as a reader was to stay informed of the
progress of negotiations to bring English Disney comics back to the US
market.  In the meantime, I have thoroughly enjoyed, and have been
enlightened by, all the various discussions that comprise this
newsletter.

I'm heartened to know that discussions between Diamond and Disney still
continue, while discouraged not to see much progress.  In the meantime,
I thought I'd ask a question or two for those of us in the US who might
be interested in obtaining some of the foreign editions.  I don't recall
seeing this issue addressed recently.

1. Are there any retail outlets in the US that sell  foreign editions of
Disney comics (similar to dealers that sell foreign newspapers)?  My
geographical point of interest would be the Boston area, but other
individuals might be interested whether anything exists in the New York
or other metropolitan areas.

2. Are there any mail order and/or on-line distributors, US or foreign,
from which one might purchase either, a.) foreign Disney subscriptions,
or b.) anthologies or collections of recent Disney stories?  With regard
to b.), if I can't read a Don Rosa collection in English, I'd be
interested in seeing it (reading it might be another matter) in another
language, especially LO$ stories.

3. Where can I find the subscription addresses for the various Disney
publishers around the world?  Has anyone collected them in one place
on-line? Is it economically reasonable for a US reader to subscribe to a
foreign edition?

4. If I were to consider subscribing to a few titles, which ones might
one recommend as being of consistently worthwhile quality to do so,
regardless of language, and assuming new(er) stories rather than
reprints?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Linwood Kemp