DCML digest #818

Paulo Barrez maurepas0002 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 15:42:29 CET 2002

>From: Don Rosa <donrosa at iglou.com>
> > I just read "A little something special" from
Adventurous Uncle Scrooge
> > McDuck #2 (29 pages) and I have one question:

Yeah, I also read that story on Yahoo.

> > Page 20 : Blackheart beagle says to $crooge: "A
last glass of
> sarsaparilla
> > from Coot's soda fountain! You know from old
times!"
> > As we know $crooge prefer nutmeg tea but smurfs
("Schtroumpf" comics by
> the
> > belgian Peyo) eat sarsaparilla. That's a reference
to smurf.

> Sorry to disappoint you, but no, it's not. I have
never read a Smurf comic
> (or seen a cartoon)... I have no idea what they
drink or do. But
> sarsaparilla is simply what people drank at American
soda-fountains and
> saloons 100+ years ago.

I think most of those who know Peyo's Sumrfs (and
there are quite a lot of them here in Europe) will
take it for a reference to the Smurfs. "Sarsaparilla"
is one of the best known element of the Smurfs'
universe. This is almost a synonym of the series.
That's an unintentional reference, I would say.

> This is an odious, flat-out lie that I have seen
them spout before in such
> reports. They are shamelessly taking full credit for
70 years of efforts by
> dozens and dozens of *independent* publishers who
commission and publish
> the work of *freelance* writers and artists, all
done without an *iota* of
> Disney assistance! They know that the corporate
shareholders assume, like
> the rest of the public, that anything with the name
"Disney" on it is and
> always has always been manufactured, created and/or
published by Disney, so
> they fuel the misconception with such a despicable
untruth.
> Brrrrrrrrrrrr......

Brrr indeed, but I guess those claims are meant to the
U.S. audience mainly. Such claim would be silly in
Europe, where Disney magazines also publish
*non*-Disney comics, and are made by well known local
publishers.