languages/countries [OT]

Hans Kiesl hans.kiesl at sowi.uni-bamberg.de
Thu Jan 31 12:33:47 CET 2002

Harry wrote:

> Interesting. Especially since the area of France next to the
> German border was part of Germany until 1874 (and again from
> 1939-1945). Most people there should still speak a German dialect,
> as well as the French they learn at school. So maybe the German man
> had another, more hidden, reason to be angry...

This is very off-topic, but I couldn't resist nitpicking: basically,
Alsace had been French from 1648 until 1871, and was part of
"Deutsches Reich" between 1871 and 1918. Since then, it has
been part of France again (with the exception of the German
occupation between 1940 and 1945).

-Hans-
(who deeply hopes that the rivalry between Germany and France
will be buried forever [with the exception of football matches, of
course...])