DCML digest #822

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Thu Jan 31 23:31:04 CET 2002

From: "Alex Schaaf" <alex at schaaf.com>
> Okay, okay, I should have *known* that people have NO SENSE OF HUMOR
> WHATSOEVER when it comes to religion.
I was hoping for a story:

I still need to check around and see if I'd be allowed (or if I'd even want
to for my own purposes) to include the Holy Grail or the Ark of the
Covenant in the Knights Templar treasury when $crooge goes to find it at
Castle McDuck. Mentioning the Grail would require and explanation of the
Last Supper and people allegedly being the son of God and getting
themselves nailed to crosses and other unpleasantries. But I've already
involved Hinduism in my stories, so I should be fair and muck about with
Christianity as well. But my real fear is that if I use Jesus in a Duck
story, Di$ney will start to demand royalties on the last two thousand years
of Bible sales.

From: "Olaf Solstrand" <harryklein at hotmail.com>
>Gort, Klattu birada nikto. Squa tront!
>>>Does these words have a meaning that the part of the list which don't
understand ... (finnish?) should know? What on earth does it mean?

Didn't you read the messages from the other DCML members who recognized the
phrases?
Finnish? No, someone said I was from another solar system, so I spoke in
alien.
The first sentence is from the 1951 movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still".
The second sentence is from EC comics of the 1950's -- all their aliens
would say "squa tront!" or "spa fon" when surprised. It's like "holy cow!"

From: "DYER,SONIA (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <sonia_dyer at hp.com>
>>>Gort, Klattu birada nikto.
>>>Well I recognized the line from the movie, but after all these years I
still
don't know what "birada nikto" is supposed to mean. Are any of you fluent
in
Klattu-ese?

It's what Michael Rennie (Klattu) told Patricia Neal to tell the robot Gort
after he'd been fatally shot. It's amazing it could mean so much, but it
apparently translates as "Gort, Klattu says that you should come into town
and steal his body from the city jail, then bring it back to the spaceship
for resuscitation, but in the meantime keep her hands off me because he
says I'm his babe." Them robots is smart. They use radar.