Slightly OT: Seven-route interchange

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Mon Jul 1 18:21:51 CEST 2002

Rob Klein wrote:

> It is one thing to have FOUR major
> roads converge at ONE point with limited access connecting
> each road from each
> direction to all other roads in all other directions.  But
> SEVEN!!! I don't believe that exists!

There is a seven-route interchange in Holland, near Rotterdam. Two pairs of
roads are in fact parallel freeways, one for long-distance and one for local
traffic.

In fact you've been there. 8-) I'm talking about "Knooppunt Ridderkerk", the
freeway interchange of:

A 16 (North) to Den Haag
A 16 (North) parallel to Feijenoord
A 38 to Ridderkerk
A 15 (East) to Gorinchem
A 16 (South) to Breda
A 15 (West) to Europoort
A 15 (West) parallel to Barendrecht (and also to a McDonald's 8-)

Drawing maps of freeways is one of my weird hobbies. I haven't succeeded yet
to draw this interchange (by head) without making at least one mistake...

Anyway, this intersection is not a landmark: tourists prefer the line-up of
17 wind mills (following A 15 eastward).

--Harry.