Demontooth

RobKlein bi442 at lafn.org
Thu Jul 4 17:10:03 CEST 2002

Whether or not the "money stairway" up Demontooth was Donald's dream, or not,
is irrelevant, as Barks DID name the mountain in "The Golden Christmas Tree",
Demontooth.  The mountain is depicted on rising above the forested foothills
that mark the boundary of Duckburg's built-up, inhabited area.  I assume there
is a narrow band of flat (but gradually rising) forest at the very edge of the
City, which is the start of The Black Forest.  I assume that The Black Forest
continues eastward, covering those foothills, which lead upward into a
mountainous massif (which could be considered The Eagleclaw Wilderness Area -
as depicted by Barks in the "forest fire story").  As the ocean, Duckburg Bay,
etc. border Duckburg to the west, I assume that the mountain massif (and
forested areas) form the eastern boundary of the Duckburg Metropolitan area.
That large a mountainous area, with a gradual rise, is too large to be situated
in a perpendicular relation to the ocean.  Usually, such mountain ranges lie in
a parallel orientation to the seacoast.  Assuming THAT configuration, I assume
that both the northern and southern boundaries of Duckburg (and its few
suburbs) give way to open farmland (as depicted by Barks).  We saw the road
signs as Donald passed them on the way to Tuleville (Hentown, Catville, etc.) -
in ONE direction.  The other direction could be the way towards Goose Egg
County Pumpkinburg and Pickleburg.  Of course, a large portion of the eastern
boundary of Duckburg City must be formed by Mudhen Lake (as depicted by Barks),
as the other side of that vast lake has the flat fir forest that must form a
portion of the Black Forest.

Regarding the employment of Mount Demontooth as a  Duckburg landmark:  As it is
within the general area of the City, it is close enough to be a Duckburg
landmark.  As Barks' FINAL OWN version of WDC 157 had Demontooth depicted in a
dream, we can assume that the "real" shape and location of Mount Demontooth is
the one depicted by Barks in "The Golden Christmas Tree", and that the shape
and configuration of that mountain in "The Money Stairs" story was different
due to Donald's distorted memory in his dream.

I think of the representations of "The Duck Universe" not as photographs of
some other reality, but as graphic representations by a Folk Historian.  Carl
Barks and his "History of the Ducks and Duckburg" are akin to Homer and
his "Iliad, and Oddysey".  Neither of these great tale tellers physically
attended the happenings of which they bring to us detailed accounts.  Both of
them have put down in writing for a future generation, folktales which were
verbally transmitted by common folk for hundreds of years.

Rob
Klein