Politics in Duckburg

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald4 at yahoo.no
Thu Jul 18 09:12:24 CEST 2002

Hi all!

In the latest Norwegian Donald Duck Pocket (# 259)
there is a story by Stefano Ambrosio and Giorgio
Cavazzano (I-2387-1) about an election campaign for a
new mayor in Duckburg. However there are some bad
logic in this story and even a bug in translation of
this story. This being:

a) Almost every citizen seems to be a candidate for
the job as a mayor at least in the Duck/McDuck family.
I would think that in Duckburg as in the rest of the
US, there would only be a few candidates for the job
as a mayor, because one would need both strong
economic and moral support to go for such a campaign.

b) HD&L are candidates even though they are children.
That's absurd. It should be obvious that people in
Duckburg would acquire the right to vote and the right
to be a candidate for an election campaign at the age
of 18 as it is most other civilised societies in the
world.

c) There is a BIG BUG in the translation where the
founder of Duckburg is called Cornelius Kraas or
something like that instead of Cornelius Coot. Such
bugs must be confusing to kids and young readers so I
would suggest that Egmont in the future should hire
translators who at least knows the basics about
Duckburg and its history.

Sigvald :-)