Castles, movies, & songs

CarmenG@aol.com CarmenG at aol.com
Thu Jul 18 16:01:51 CEST 2002

>>With regards to the Mad Duke's Castle - it's  entirely
possible that it's a relatively new building. There is a castle here in
Toronto that was built in the early 1900s, and was abandoned not too long
after it was built<<

Charles:
--not only Toronto, but in a small town like Versailles, Kentucky! We have a
castle here, too, also built by a millionare but never used. This was built
more recently, though, perhaps in the 1970s?

Italian members:
Thank you for the translations of I Soliti ignoti. Some of you privately
asked me where Donald Duck appears in the movie, so I thought it might be of
some mild interest here.
I don't want to spoil what is a sweet and funny scene, so I'll just say that
he is on three identical aprons worn in the movie.
This got me to thinking about the use of Disney characters in non-Disney
works. It seems unusual, given how strict the company is about their use. I
remember reading that Gene Kelley in "Anchors Aweigh" was originally supposed
to dance with Mickey Mouse, but Disney wouldn't allow it, so Jerry Mouse was
used instead. (I'm not sure of the truth of this, but that's what I heard.)
Mickey Mouse is mentioned in Cole Porter's song "You're the Top," and I
believe Donald Duck is in "Hooray for Hollywood."
Any others?

Carmen