DCML digest #1017 (apparently this suffices as a subject)

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Tue Jul 23 17:15:16 CEST 2002

Don replied to lgiver:

> > more cash than he expected when he built the Killmotor Hill bin.  So
> > when he built his downtown office building, he included the
> > big basement bin and an overflow bin.

> Of course, that's obvious. In chapter 12 of my "Lo$", I
> expressly addressed
> that matter. Correct -- the cash in the Money Bin (in *my*
> stories) is ONLY
> that money that $crooge earned earliest in his career

That does not fully explain why Scrooge keeps telling that he's broke when
he loses the full content of that bin. One may think that he is always
exaggerating and sentimental, but in most stories, Donald and the nephews
seem to take it seriously.

I thought about the following possibility. Scrooge has an agreement with the
banks, that he can use cheques and stuff, to represent the money that is in
his bin. Just like an American banknote represents the gold in Fort Knox
(more or less). So Scrooge gets credits from the banks, as long as he can
show that he can solve the credits at any time by the money in his bin.

Scrooge would make such an arrangement for sentimental reasons (e.g. he
likes to swim). This would explain why Scrooge would be broke when losing
his bin content.

But it would also imply that most of the contents of his bin is not actually
*his* money... Maybe that's not a very nice thought.

Well, never mind.

--Harry.