DCML digest, Vol 1 #1018 - 9 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Jul 24 15:07:01 CEST 2002

> From: Kriton Kyrimis <kyrimis at cti.gr>
> DON:
>
> As long as this has been brought up, why did you change Barks' text to
> mention an overflow bin, rather than the regular one?

Well, Bruce Hamilton wanted me to complete that story, and it seemed like a
fun idea to try. However, there was the scene, as there sometimes was in
Gyro stories or other non-$crooge logoed stories, that showed the Money Bin
on a downtown street corner rather than up on the usual hill overlooking
Duckburg. Barks tried to be consistent up to a point but not entirely,
whereas I don't try to be absolutely consistent, though I do hold onto my
consistency a bit beyond Barks' point because *I* have that added knowledge
that many people are watching and remembering (and also simply because it
pleases me). Anyway, one point of consistency I can *never* ignore is that
the Bin is on that hill. So I could NOT continue that story if I had to
stick to Barks' script where $crooge calls that his main Money Bin. We
didn't want to change any art, but I convinced them to just change a few
words in one balloon so that I could work on completing the story

> From: H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
> That does not fully explain why Scrooge keeps telling that he's broke when
> he loses the full content of that bin.

I addressed that exact question in that new Gyro story because the beginning
of that sequel to "Xmas for Shacktown" put me in that very situation --
$crooge was declaring himself flat broke even though he'd only lost the cash
in his Money Bin. When the main "collateral" of $crooge's Bin is gone,
operations of his huge empire uses up what little other cash reserves he has
very quickly. In a matter of some months or a year he must begin to
liquidate everything and go broke. Beyond that, Donald & the Nephews (at
least the Nephews) take him seriously because they know that the Money in
the Bin *is* the money that's most important. And Donald might not analyze
it much and just believe what $crooge says. No, that doesn't explain it
perfectly, but I just don't worry about it. We know that the Bin can't
possibly be ALL of $crooge's money, but we also know that some stories must
treat it that way for dramatic and narrational effect.

> I thought about the following possibility. Scrooge has an agreement with
the
> banks, that he can use cheques and stuff, to represent the money that is
in
> his bin. Just like an American banknote represents the gold in Fort Knox
> (more or less). So Scrooge gets credits from the banks, as long as he can
> show that he can solve the credits at any time by the money in his bin.
> Scrooge would make such an arrangement for sentimental reasons (e.g. he
> likes to swim). This would explain why Scrooge would be broke when losing
> his bin content.

By gosh, I answered your question before I read this. You bluffed me into
answering your question when you already had a better-worded answer than I
did!