Gyro's practical invention

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Mon Jul 29 10:18:06 CEST 2002

Following up on the discussion of Gyro's 50-year history, he did indeed
make his first appearance in the DD 10-page story "Gladstone's Terrible
Secret".  In those 4 panels, he gave up trying to make butter from cream
by hopping on a pogo stick, gave those things to Gladstone, and said he
would return to his home to invent "butterless buttered popcorn".  Barks
may have thought that was an impractical and silly idea in 1952, but
Gyro must have been very successful, as butterless buttered popcorn is
today very popular, both in movie theaters and in bags to microwave at
home.  Since Gyro did early work on butter-flavor substitutes (not just
margerine), and we know he often applies for patents, I wonder if he's
collecting royalties for this invention.  More likely all royalties from
Gyro's patents were assigned to the Disney Corporation.
                    ----Larry Giver.