Duckburg and the World Cup

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald4 at yahoo.no
Tue Jun 4 10:39:41 CEST 2002

Cebarat at aol.com skrev:

> With regard to "parts" of a nation being permitted
> to participate as individual entities in the World
> Cup, the only nation where such a practice is
> allowed is Great Britain. The four "parts" are
> England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.
> I gather from reading about the history of soccer
> that allowing such an unusual arrangement to
> continue was part of the "price" paid by FIFA to
> bring Britain into the international soccer
> community.

Well there actually are examples which proves that
this practice is NOT limited to the UK. A quick check
on the last Fifa-rank shows:
#119 - Faroe Islands (Part of Denmark)
#143 - Hong Kong (Part of China)
#182 - Macao (Part of China)

(By the way - can any of our Finnish or Swedish
friends here tell us why the Aaland Islands in the
Baltic sea does not have the same status as the Faroe
Islands in this matter?)

> As for Duckburg's even more unusual status as a
> city that can send its "own" team to the Olympics...

Well an other earlier British colony, Hong Kong does
the same ting...

> (not to mention having its own consulates in
> foreign lands...

First a consulate is NOT the same as an embassy. And
who has evere said that Duckburg has it's own
consulates in other countries? As far as I can
remember the only consulates mentioned is consulates
for forreign countries (like the Brutopian) in
Duckburg. And that is completely normal.

So as you may se from my answers here that I have read
the other postings on this issue and also done some
research myself and realises now that my conclusions
presented here yesterday *may* not be totally correct
after all. Because there actually does exist a city
with it’s own Olympic Committee *and* it’s own
membership in FIFA: Hong Kong (which even is an
earlier British colony).

But this is still an interesting issue which I hope
will be kept discussed here for a while.

Best regards from
Sigvald :-)