AW: Top 100 Comics

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Wed Jun 5 21:46:51 CEST 2002

Fabio wrote:

> Who says that Franquin isnt important, dont know NOZIN' about comics...

Recently I watched the TV show "Wer wird Millionär?" which is one of these "1 Million prize" quiz shows which have popped up last
year in every country. The candidate had reached to 3rd to last last level so his answer was worth 250.000 Euro. And the question
was: "Who created the Marsupilami?" Well, if the answer is worth a quarter of a million maybe we should not assume that everybody
knows who Franquin is.

Frank Miller (of "The Dark Knight Returns" fame) once said that he could stand on any crowded place in the U.S. and scream at the
top of his lungs who he is and which comics he did, and only a handful of people might recognize him. He would rather yell "I wrote
the script to Robocop II" (which he did).

So in most countries (Germany included) comics are not yet part of mainstream culture and comics creators are rather unknown. We
comic fans often assume that "normal" ;-) people have to know something about comics. Well - they don't! Unbelievable as this may
seem I myself could not name more than two soccer/football-players. I suppose with this kind of knowledge I will be thrown out at
the 50 Euro question ;-)

Cord