Two new publications in the Netherlands

Arthur de Wolf arthur at wolfstad.com
Wed Jun 12 20:36:48 CEST 2002

Hi,

I just found two new Disney publications at a store here in the Netherlands:

1. "De spannende reisavonturen van Donald Duck #1"
("The exciting travel adventures of Donald Duck #1").

This album features an introduction text about adventure stories, which
covers the location of Duckburg in Calisota, differences between stories in
and outside of  Duckburg and how different artists are inspired by Carl
Barks. There are 6 long stories by Ben Verhagen inside: H8706; H86231;
H86230; H8580; H8869 and H9289. It's quite remarkable, according to me, that
the artists / writers are mentioned in the index. That's something I've
never seen in a Dutch publication. I wonder if it has anything to do with
Finnish publisher Sanoma taking over.

2. "50 vrolijke grappen van de Duckies #1"
("50 funny gags of the Duckies #1")

This album starts with an introduction of how Barks invented April, May &
June and how Mau Heymans gave them a new (more modern / teenager) look.  The
article also mentions that Daniel Branca designed the classmate characters
used in these stories. The album contains 50 one-page stories featuring
AM&J, HD&L, Donald and Daisy. These stories were originally printed on the
back covers of the Donald Duck weeklies in 1998. The album obviously refers
to this year being the 50th anniversary of Dutch Donald Duck weekly. That's
probably why they only print 50 of the 52 available one-page stories (one
for each week). I guess #2 in this series will have 50 gag stories from
another year. (Every year the Dutch weekly has 52 different themed gag
stories on the back).

Kind regards,

Arthur de Wolf