Stranger Than Fiction

Gerd Syllwasschy gerd.syllwasschy at web.de
Sat Jun 22 11:17:37 CEST 2002

> It seems to me that, in the original unedited ten-pager, there was more to
> see of the police and also of the psychiatrist. Let's call this
"instinctive
> guesswork"...  ;-)

I agree. And the alligator may have been good for some additional panels,
too. Ever asked yourself how in the world they managed to get Old Satchel
Face into the emisser?

> However, there's one thing irritating me: The panel in the third row of
the
> sixth page looks to me as if it should be at the end of the page, because
> me it depicts a bigger suspense factor than the panel actually ending the
> page. At least in the visual sense.

You may be right. Come to think of it, Gyro's remark about the storm getting
fierce in the first panel of that page seems somewhat uncalled for. Maybe it
was preceded by a panel of Donald fighting his way against the wind. (Yes, I
noticed there is some rain visible in the background. And yes, I noticed
Barks was building up the storm pictorially on the preceding pages.
Nevertheless, I'm not sure he would have relied on the reader remembering
this after two pages playing mostly in-house, with hardly any storm.)

On the other hand, I tend to think that the editors would have prefered to
confine their cuts to a single place if possible. Otherwise it would have
meant too much extra work for the layouter. Remember the other 9-page WDC
story, The Madcap Mariner, where they seem to have omitted one complete page
without caring much for continuity. But I'm not 100 % sure of this, either.

Gerd