12 Landmarks

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Fri Jun 28 04:36:46 CEST 2002

Don certainly has the right to make his own choices of Duckburg "landmarks"
that he wishes to draw.  But, I for one, do not understand why a landmark drawn
by Barks and shown by him to be located in or near its environs, should not be
considered, simply because he used it only in ONE story.

Notre Duck is a fabulous work of architecture, with a rich history.  It is one
of several pillars of Duckburg history as revealed to us by Barks.  As we have
not been lucky enough to view the complete history of Duckburg (but only are
allowed to see bits and pieces), how can we toss some of this valuable
information aside. Should are considering that history "true" only if Barks had
drawn a given landmark in a background of at least a second story?  Nay, I
say!!! Notre Duck, Cornelius Coot's water pouring statue, the 7-Route
Interchange, Lighthouse on Cape Quack, Hagtooth Rock, Doomtumble Falls, City
Hall Clock Tower, etc. would all be great points of interest to a tourist
making pilgrimage to Duckburg and Duck County.  So would the Castle of "The Mad
Duke of Duckburg".

Barks did not need to use the Lighthouse in a second story, as it guards the
narrows into Duckburg Bay.  It is not in the centre of Duckburg, so it didn't
get drawn again.  Does that mean it is less important (or less likely to
exist???) than something drawn twice???  The "Mad Duke's" Castle would be a
fantastic tourist attraction (even for locals).  Why not use it? In the
Americas, there are many individuals who named themselves or were nicknamed
with titles of royalty or nobility. There have also been several rich persons
who shipped original ancient structures, piece by piece to different
continents. That was done to the former London Bridge (now in Arizona). In
addition, neo-gothic and other late-1800s to early 1900s architectural styles
mimic medieval and ancient styles.  Why single out the "Duke's" Castle for
exclusion, when the City Hall has Greek columns?  Should we discard Duckburg's
own public offices, which were drawn by Barks several times because such
an "ancient" building could not have been built in America?

Speaking of the City Hall.... That should DEFINATELY be included in the group
of 12 landmarks.  It has been drawn by barks several times (in a few different
styles). I think the version with the domed roof and greek columns is best
(WDC114, 201 and Christ. Parade 1958).  Also, the Duck county Courthouse was
shown several times (not to mention as the scene of Donald's and Scrooge's many
unhappy dealings with the law.  I think that Pizarro's Galleon, located in
Duckburg Park should be used as well.  It is a great draw for both tourists,
and local children.  Why would they display it for a while and then move it.
If it were a matter of protecting it from the elements, the City fathers would
have decided to build some form of protective shelter to cover it.

I believe that zany SEVEN-level interchange is not so common as some members
have intimated.  This is not 7 converging roads meeting at a large roundabout
(such as that at the "Arch Du Triomphe".  It is one thing to have FOUR major
roads converge at ONE point with limited access connecting each road from each
direction to all other roads in all other directions.  But SEVEN!!! I don't
believe that exists!  I attended City Planning School at University, and also
worked in Civil Engineering.  I think such an intersection would be
impractical, and unnecessary.  The fact that Duckburg has one is an engineering
marvel; and a such, a big tourist attraction.

Regarding Junior Woodchucks' Headquarters: There SHOULD be a REGIONAL
Headquarters located in Duckburg (as it is, by far, the largest city in
Calisota). Barks never drew that edifice, nor even alluded to it.  Yet, I
believe Don should draw it.  The Junior Woodchucks building shown in WDC 221
was their Science Hall (not a headquarters). In WDC 227, a (sub-regional)
Batallion Headquarters was shown within the Black Forest. There were probably
at least a few different Batallions in the Duckburg area.  The local "troop"
headquarters for Huey, Dewey and Louie's troop (nr.1), was shown by Barks in a
few stories (WDC136, etc.).  It is a single-story commercial store fronting on
a near-downtown street filled with shops.  I hope that Don will draw a large,
multi-story Regional Headquarters in Duckburg.  It could be located in the City
Centre, or on the City boundary with the Black Forest. The Black Forest should
not be located (all or in part) within Duckburg's city limits.  It probably
should be under the auspices of the National or State governments as a "nature
park" for its protection against development and environmental destruction.
Scrooge's ability to place industrial developments there (70s Jr. Woodchucks
scripts) only shows the almost limitless power of his fabulous wealth.  Like
actions occur regularly in USA (note Disney Co. attempting to build a
recreation park inside a National Forest area within California).

I also think important buildings in major cities ARE landmarks (especially
those with unusual traits). The Limpspire State Building is such an edifice
(not unlike The Leaning Tower of Pisa). Does the latter not attract lots of
tourists?  It also has made an impact on the lore of Calisota (as Calisota was
named after it: -nicknamed "The Limpspire State".  What about the "Old Mill
Pond" which was shown in WDC 132 and WDC 190?  What about the Statue of Mailman
Mike(WDC 150)?  What about the Sculpture of Senator Snoggin in the nearby
mountains?  That would certainly be important in Barks lore-AND as a tourist
attraction.  Although not within the City limits, it is within the Duckburg
regional area.  Although Duck County Fairgrounds would be a common facility in
most middle-sized cities, I think it should be used as one of the 12 landmarks,
as it was used by Barks in many different stories.  It is very nostalgic for
Barks and Donald fans.  It is the scene for many of his disasters.
The McDuck Building (Downtown Duckburg) should DEFINATELY be used.

Rob Klein