grade of comics and whitman comics

Geo geodiaz_79 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 21 23:44:25 CET 2002

2) Recently on e-bay someone sold a 3-pack with DD222, He said, this comics is rarest than US179, is it possible? or it said about 3-pack with each comic?
what can you tell me about 3-pack with these kind of comic (DD222, US179, WDC480, MM208)
I'm very sorry for my english
Sincerely
                                                                Paolo Bontempi

Uncle Scrooge 179.

Until recently I had no idea that this was considered the rarest of the lot.  I have always read (again, up until recently) that Uncle Scrooge 40 was the rarest.  If my memory is correct (I will double check when I get home later), that book had several key things going on.  First, it was the first Gold Key copy and the company did not have full distribution set up, second there was an issue with the artwork because the publisher was trying to get away with not using gutters (panel borders) but that idea was not followed through (although the dialog balloons were left square) and that caused the issue to be late, and third it's the first appearance of Magica De Spell (doesn't add to rarity, but does make it key book none the less).  Outside of my personal copy of this book I have never seen it up for sale at any comic shop or convention, in fact I have never personally seen another copy of it at all.  I have seen several copies of 179 spring up lately, which makes me question if it's just hype.  However when I went back through my books I found that that is one of the few copies I'm missing from the series, so perhaps it is the rarest of the lot.  Then again, it could be a 1916 quarter.  Anyone have any insight as to weather or not it is a rare as people claim or if it's just hype?  Is number 40 really the rarest as I had always though?

Geo