Euro as currency in Disney comics?

Apostolis Trikourakis komixgreekpage at yahoo.com
Sun May 5 01:19:06 CEST 2002

Hi all

Jussi wrote:

> Funny, although I've been a member of DCML for ~3
> years now, I only
> recently learned this and other facts about Greek
> Disney-comics. They seem
> to be somewhat special among European publications -
> the only ones(?) that
> are not even partly localized.

Well, yes, Disney comics are not localized here in
Greece. Only a few names have been translated into
Greek, like Duckburg (Limnoupoli). All the other names
are exactly the same. And that's better, in my
opinion. Donald is named Donald, not Paperino or
Anders for example. Why we have to change his name?
And Scrooge is living in USA, not Greece or somewhere
in Europe. So, he's using dollars, not Euros.

Disney Comics are very popular here. The word "Mickey
Mouse" is linked with the word "comics"! The Greeks
are often saying "are you reading Mickey Mouse",
meaning "are you reading comics?". The weekly Mickey
Mouse magazine is the oldest Greek magazine, since
'66! And there is no Greek who hasn't read a disney
magazine, at least once! Mickey and Donald are very
popular. The Greek "Disney Club" TV show is also very
popular, reaching the 10 years on air :-)

And also don't forget that the best Disney magazine in
the world is the Greek Komix, a very special
collective magazine mostly for adults because of the
very special articles and stories.

> This leads me to a question: who reads the Greek
> comics?-)

All kind of ages are reading Disney comics, from the
age of 4-5 to 60+! :-)
The kids are learning how to read mostly from the
Disney comics! Even me! My mother was reading me the
stories and I learned how to read from the age of 4!
Best Wishes

=====
Apostolis Trikourakis, Athens, Greece
E-mail: komixgreekpage at yahoo.com