DCML digest, Vol 1 #920 - 11 msgs

Sue and Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Thu May 9 23:25:33 CEST 2002

Harry:

> Jippes also inked half a page (from Barks sketches) of the Klondike story.
> That was for one of the first Gladstone albums, so maybe that's about the
> same time? Then it would not be strange for Jippes to do the Gyro Piper
> story too.

Gladstone's founding mandate was to reprint the classics, and that still
went when I signed on. Don Rosa truly was the one who broke the barrier on
Gladstone pursuing new stories, and that was hardly a sure thing at first.
It is these things that make me think it unlikely that Bruce Hamilton would
have asked Daan Jippes to try to make a complete story out of Barks'
fragment before early 1987. That would have been an entirely different
proposition than having him ink four panels that had already been restored
to "Back to the Klondike" in Barks' rough form for the CBL.

But I say this based on my perspective on the matter. The idea of new
stories was being kicked around before the advent of Don Rosa (it always was
a prospect, though initially a very dim one), and "Pied Piper" was a piece
of Barks that might have stirred Bruce to ambitions not strictly keeping
with that early Gladstone vision.

Gary