And ugliness. It absolutely excels at ugliness.

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl
Wed May 15 17:06:52 CEST 2002

Well, I guess we Dutch should consider ourselves lucky, shouldn't
we? After all, with the publication of "The Crown of the Crusader
Kings" in next week's "Donald Duck"-magazine, there are only
three Don Rosa-stories left unpublished in Holland, and these are
only the newest three (the last one probably not even finished yet)
so they will appear very soon (within two years, at maximum).

Seems like "they" (the VNU-press, or whatever it's named
nowadays) sure have an idea of the popularity of Don's stories,
when they reprint them in the "Oom Dagobert"-album series.

Well, yes. They have, or may have, indeed an idea of the
*popularity*, but not of *Don's stories*. Why do they publish an
album containing "Hearts of the Yukon", with an *ugly rip-off cover*,
based on Don's cover for "the Vigilante of Pizen Bluff"? When "the
Vigilante" will be published in the next album, will they give it an
ugly rip-off of Don's "Hearts"-cover?

What's wrong with Don's original covers? Why don't they use the
originals? Not attractive enough? Not 'smooth' enough?
(Michel Nadorp's covers for "Donald Duck Extra"-magazine are
drawn in a 'smooth' style. I believe 'smooth' is the right word.)

Why should such a grand story like "The Crown of the Crusader
Kings" be published on a weeny mini-album format? (And of course
they'll use the three-part-version, and publish it in two parts. And
redraw some of the balloons to make them bigger.)

I think I can understand why "The Three Caballeros ride again"
wasn't pubished in the Donald Duck Extra: it featured Joe Carioca
and Panchito, and DDEx is 'Ducks only' (no Mice allowed).
(Nearly all Don Rosa-stories in Holland were published in DDEx.)
But "the Crown" is a perfect all-Ducks adventure and deserves to
be published on a normal format. (Not that "The Three Caballeros"
doesn't deserve that.)

Harry, thanks for mentioning the mini-album, otherwise I would
have missed it.

"The Sharpie of the Culebra Cut" was published in DDEx 2001-13
and something went wrong with the printing, so now you can see
*pixels*, no straight ink lines, but *pixeled* ink lines. Bother.
Some of the jokes went missing too (compared to the French
version in Picsou Magazine). The remark about the canal workers
earning thirty cents an hour was translated to "1 guilder per hour".
In the beginning, Scrooge doesn't reflect on his transaction in
Panama as "the worst deal I ever made", so when it in the end
turns out to be his "best deal", the clou of the story is less
convincing. Bother.

They screwed up "The Guardians of the Lost Library" too, by
changing the Junior Woodchuck-logo, so the whole point of the
conversion from ibis to WJW got lost.

(Why "WJW"? Junior Woodcucks is JW, so why a second W?
Does a double W make a quadruple U?)

Why don't the editors and translators of our Dutch magazines pay
proper respect to the stories that are presented to them?
If they write an "editorial page" for a "Oom Dagobert"-album, why
don't they do some research? It's easy. Any fanboy, like me, can
get a lot of information from the internet, just by irregularly
checking the DCML Archives, the Duckhunt pages, Harry's
Bolderbast site. If I can, why can't these professional editors?
It looks like they don't have any idea what they're printing.

Question to Harry (or any member who has bought the new "Oom
Dagobert"-album): Which are the other two stories the album
contains? (The album is sold in a plastic bag, so I couldn't take a
look inside. And no, I won't buy it.)

Michiel Prior.

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."