DCML digest, Vol 1 #931 - 5 msgs

Sue and Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Fri May 17 18:58:32 CEST 2002

Harry:

> I think the reason is that *every* cover in Holland is
> drawn or redrawn by the Dutch art department. They have a bunch of people
> dedicated to making covers.

I've often wondered about that. Even "gag" covers by guys like Van Horn and
Jippes, which I would considered readily usable anywhere, in any format,
have been redrawn in Holland, for no particular reason I've been able to
discern other than conforming to a "house" style.

In the Disney "system", of course, they are free to do this. In certain
ways, it's even expected; every publisher of Disney comics material has
reworked existing material at one time or another (Gladstone hardly less
than anyone else). It just still seems odd to see cover ideas that I know
came from one artist being drawn anew by another artist, and that a
publisher would want to take the trouble and expense of doing that.

Gary