Don: Mandrake & MAD (OT)

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Tue May 28 11:07:27 CEST 2002

DON

>The only exposure I've ever had to the "golden age" Mandrake was the issue
>of MAD comics I grew up with that had "Manduck the Magician" by Will Elder.
>But yes, if *all* of my work is a constant homage to something, it is to the
>work of both Carl Barks and Bill Elder. And now that you mention it, that
>giant moth sitting stoically on Huey's (?) head like an owl and gazing into
>the fire was surely, in the recesses of my brain, an Elder gag.

Which, in turn, might as well have been an actual reference to
the story I mentioned... :-)

However, if Italy is (rather has been) the land of plenty for
classic comics reprints, the one thing that we sorely miss is
the classic MAD...

Attempts have been made, from the sixties on, to publish current
material in italian language, but none lasted much more than
a dozen issues and, AFAIK at least, nothing of the "golden
age" of MAD was ever reprinted here...

Too closely related to american events and personalities, I guess...

Ah, and, I should possibly have used the word "reference" rather
than "hommage" as more appropriate in my first mail, but I'm
glad I didn't, otherwise I would have missed this...

>But yes, if *all* of my work is a constant homage to something, it is to the
>work of both Carl Barks and Bill Elder.
[...]
>... an Elder gag. (As opposed
>to an elder god which comes from H.P.Lovecraft.)(And would have been an
>eldritch gag.)

:-)))))

Cheers

Eta Beta