Thieves or...

H.W.Fluks@kpn.com H.W.Fluks at kpn.com
Mon Nov 4 15:35:26 CET 2002

Søren:

> Information on the Internet is free by default

This is simply not true. Normal copyright laws are also valid for the
Internet.

> 3) Put a copyright mark on the material

A copyright notice has no legal effect in any way. A copyright is something
you own by default. Adding a notice is just a service to the reader. You
only lose your rights if you explicitly state so.

> > don't go around claiming it's okay
> > to steal from those who care about their work.
>
> As I already explained, it's the other way around. Sorry, I thought
> everyone knew that.

Everyone cannot know that, since it is wrong. *I* thought everyone knew
*that*...

> let's say I spend ten years
> looking for just that old white Volvo Amazone, you can be pretty sure
> that I'll take a picture and scan it and put it online (just for
> bragging :-) and I really don't see the problem in anyone copying that
> scan...not even had I spent twenty years searching for the old wreck.

This is besides the point. In your example, you would have put 20 years of
effort in *making the scan*.
Without copyright laws, no-one would do the trouble to do too much effort to
make anything public.

--Harry.