Thieves or...

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Wed Nov 6 13:24:27 CET 2002

> Calm down, please. Disagreeing about things by e-mail is not easy. I am
> convinced that Don is quite a nice guy (though I never met him), and I
know
> that Soeren is quite a nice guy too. Soeren's ideas may be wrong (in this
> case), but he's not the anarchist that he appears to be. 8-)

Thank you, but I find it hard to have friendly, detached, intellectual
discussions with people who threaten my livelihood, which depends on the
protection of intellectual property. This is exactly the same as any other
discussion on the legitimacy of ownership -- those who are against it are
the ones who don't own anything worth protecting.

I also find it hard to have ANY kind of intellectual discussion with a
person who repeatedly says "Law? What law? I don't see any law." Willful
refusal to acknowledge the existence of a thing that everyone else can
plainly see is simply not rational, and there's no point in trying to apply
rational techniques in dealing with such a person.

Furthermore, when one is told to accept the point of view of such a person
or else get off the Internet, it is perfectly reasonable to ask who the hell
that person thinks he is. Who the hell do you suppose he DOES think he is?
The owner of the Internet?

But there's one thing you needn't fear. When one behaves so dictatorially as
to order others to accept his terms or "bail out" and "stay off the
Internet" (his words), there is very little chance he will ever be mistaken
for an anarchist.

Since, however, this IS, as you so cogently observe, off-topic, I'm dropping
the subject with this post. The would-be Dictator of the Internet has amply
demonstrated the value of his Unilateral Pronouncements, and to belabor the
point would be redundant.

Quack, Don

Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary.
http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm