Glomgold Facilities

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sat Nov 9 18:42:30 CET 2002

Greetings members. I hope someone comments on Duckburg's Population FIGURES
themselves, rather than only methodology of estimatation assumptions.

Sigvald: I did NOT say that Glomgold had his World-Wide Headquarters in
Duckburg.  I only indicated that he and others (implying Rockerduck) had large
facilities there. It IS true, that Glomgold's World-Wide Headquarters are in
South Africa.  Actually, only his Money Bin is shown by Barks in The Limpopo
Valley.  That would only represent a PORTION of his Financial Headquarters.
Just as Scrooge has his McDuck Building and several other owned company offices
in Duckburg, separated from his Money Bin, I assume Glomgold has equivalent
other buildings/facilities. He has almost as much money as McDuck- so ALL his
Financial facilities and workers COULD NOT possibly fit into his Money Bin,
alone. I'm guessing that the REST of his World-Wide Financial facilities are
located in Johannesburg or Capetown. He probably would also have an office in
Pretoria to keep tabs on Government legislation, and to be able to lobby for
his own interests. A fairly large city (as Duckburg -(250.000 to 350.000)) with
a financial Centre, should be needed. So, the Money Bin in the Limpopo Valley
is not Glomgold's only Financial headquarters building.  The difference from
Scrooge needing only to walk from HIS Money Bin to his McDuck Building, is that
Glomgold has a long commute. Although he is a severe miser as is Scrooge, he
must expend a fair amount of money to commute to Jo-Burg or Capetown, probably
at least once per week.  The rest of the days could be spent giving orders by
telephone or e-mail from his Money Bin. A certain amount of face-toface contact
is needed, to keep one's underlings on their toes!

Although, it is true that all the stories showing Glomgold's large offices in
Duckburg were written and drawn by artists other than Barks, I yet assume that
those artists were not wrong in their use.  As Scrooge has a World-Wide
Financial Empire, with offices in all major cities, so should Glomgold.  I'm
sure McDuck has offices in BOTH Capetown AND Johannesburg.  So must Glomgold
have offices in Duckburg.  He must keep an eye on his rival.  He is a crooked
businessman.  He would need industrial spies.  It would be easier for them to
work out of a large LOCAL "legal" commercial facility.

For Olivier: Yes, I received the Hachette addresses you sent me.  Thanks very
much.  I sent mails to them promptly, but have received no answers. Sorry about
my mail server bouncing messages.  ALL those mails that people have informed me
were bounced, I DID receive. However, here is another e-mail address for me:

robbklein at yahoo.com

bi442 at lafn.org

Rob(b)
Klein