Pizen Bluff

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Sun Nov 10 09:58:15 CET 2002

For M.J. Prior:
                    Pizen Bluff is Barks' title; "Pizen" is an old slang
spelling
he used for "poison" or "poisoned".  "Bluff" is a geology term meaning
a high riverbank or a cliff.  In California we have a town on the
Sacramento River called "Red Bluff".  "Bluff" is used occasionally
as part of a place name.
                This is a story about an old mining ghost (abandoned) town.
I think Barks' use of the name "poisoned" Bluff refers the water
contamination and other environmental problems that often
occur with mining operations.
                The title chosen by the translators certainly isn't a
translation of Barks' title, but rather their own title based on the
contents of the story----probably a better title since the story
is about wind blowing the old buildings around.
                                                    Best wishes,
                                                            Larry Giver.